-Under 150 Calories
Excellent Parsnip & Apple Soup
A nice rich and slightly sweet soup which will help any diet-damaging afternoon grazing.
Ingredients: Serves 2
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- Pinch of ground sea salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 litres vegetable stock
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme about, a small handful from the bunch
- 1 small cooking apple or 2 medium-sized green eating apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional if the apples are a bit sharp.
- ½ tablespoon crème fraiche
In a large saucepan on a medium heat, sauté the chopped onion and garlic in the vegetable oil, then add the parsnips, salt, pepper, thyme and two thirds of the stock and simmer until just tender. Next, add the chopped apple and most of the rest of the stock and simmer for a further 5–7 minutes until the apples are starting to break up.
Remove the soup from the heat and let it cool down for a few minutes then blend in a food processor or with a hand blender until smooth, just add a little extra stock if you want the soup a little smoother. Serve with a pinch of cinnamon on the top and a teaspoon of crème fraiche swirled on top.