-Under 250 Calories
Chickpea Curry with Brown Rice
Brown rice is a real dieter’s friend, it is great high-fibre, filling food, giving slow-release sugars and carbs so it keeps you full and stops you snacking.
Ingredients: Serves four
- ½ tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 can (400 g/14 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (400g/14oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (400 g/14 oz) chopped tomatoes, half drained of its juice
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 100g broccoli or any veg
- 1½ tablespoon coconut powder, mixed to paste with cold water
- Pinch of ground sea salt
- 100g cooked brown rice, which can be bought pre cooked.
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes or until it is tender, next stir in the garam masala and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly, add the chickpeas, tomatoes, coriander and broccoli or veg of your choice and cook for a further 2 minutes or until the veg is cooked, stirring occasionally.
Finally remove from the heat and stir in the coconut paste and salt, serve with the brown rice or simple side salad.