-Under 150 Calories
Potato, Mushroom and Leek Croquettes
Make these weight loss friendly croquettes a little bigger for a main meal with a selection of fresh veggies or have a few smaller croquettes as an accompaniment for a variety of main dishes.
Ingredients: Serves two
- ½ tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 225g potatoes boiled and mashed
- 175g close cup mushrooms wiped and sliced
- 1 medium leek, chopped, just use the mainly white part
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme about a handful from the bunch
- 50g grated cheese (any hard cheese, Wensleydale’s a nice one)
- Pinch of ground sea salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg yolk and white separated
- 100g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons water
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
Place mushrooms, leek, and thyme in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped, combine with the mashed potato and add the cheese, salt and pepper and egg yolk. Shape mixture into eight 7cm / 3 inch long croquettes.
Roll the croquettes first in the flour, then egg white and finally the breadcrumbs and gently cook in a little oil 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Serve as a main dish with selection of green vegetables, or as an accompaniment to a main dish, these croquettes are spot on with the broccoli cheese dish.