Under 350 Calories
A lovely satisfying warming and enjoyable slimming friendly dinner, which is not just for winter, it is a handy meal that can be also be frozen for later.
Ingredients: Serves four
- ½ tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, any type you like
- 1–1.5 vegetable stock
- ½ can green lentils
- 1 tablespoon plain yoghurt or fromage fraîs (optional)
- 100g plain flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon mixed herbs or any fresh herbs of your choice
- 30g low-fat spread, cold and grated if possible
- Optional: ½ teaspoon mustard powder
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic, next add all the vegetables except for the lentils and keep stirring for 3 minutes, then add the curry powder and the stock and bring the mixture to the boil.
Reduce the heat and add the lentils, then cover and simmer for 15–20 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the sauce has thickened.
Make the dumplings by combining flour, baking powder, herbs, spread, mustard powder, if using. Then add a little water until the dumpling mix is tacky and not too dry, divide the mixture into four equal balls and place on top of the vegetable casserole, do not stir them in, just allow them to sit on top and cook for 8–10 minutes until the dumplings have just about doubled in size.
Finally stir in the plain yoghurt or fromage fraîs and serve straight away.