-Under 350 Calories
Dumplings are not the first thing you would think about when you are on a diet. This is a great recipe, which allows you to enjoy what, for many, is the essential part of any casserole without unnecessary weight gain.
Ingredients: Serves four
- 1 medium leek, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and diced
- 275ml vegetable stock
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- Pinch of ground sea salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Crème Fraîche
- 100g plain flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon mixed herbs or any fresh herbs of your choice
- 30g low-fat spread, cold and grated if possible
- Optional: ½ teaspoon mustard powder
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the leek and garlic, next add all the vegetables and keep stirring for 3 minutes, then add and the stock and bring the mixture to a gentle boil.
Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15–20 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the sauce has thickened.
Make the dumplings by combining flour, baking powder, herbs, spread, mustard powder, if using. Then add a little water until the dumpling mix is tacky and not too dry, divide the mixture into four equal balls and place on top of the vegetable casserole, do not stir them in, just allow them to sit on top and cook for 8–10 minutes until the dumplings have just about doubled in size.
Finally gently stir in creme fraiche and serve straight away.