Under 300 Calories
This is a delicious, weight loss friendly and deceptively simple meal, a speedy mouth watering meal when you have unexpected gusts for dinner. The chestnut mushroom gives this meal such a lovely and warm nutty flavour. There are two main types of risotto rice widely available, Carnaroli and Arborio, both really nice, the main difference being the Arborio risotto rice most of the flavour will be in the sauce, whereas with Carnaroli risotto rice the rice absorbs the flavours, experiment find out which you like most.
Ingredients: Serves two
- 250g spinach defrosted frozen, squeeze any excess water
- ½ tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 350g chestnut mushrooms, wiped and sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme about, a small handful from the bunch
- 180g risotto rice Arborio or Carnaroli, see note above
- 600ml hot vegetable stock
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 40g vegetarian pasta cheese, finely grated (you can use any hard cheese)
- 120ml dry white wine
- Pinch of ground sea salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and sauté the garlic and mushrooms for 2–3 minutes, then turn down to a low heat add the salt, pepper the spinach, thyme and risotto rice and cook for 1 minute, keep stirring, the add the wine and cook until absorbed stirring frequently, then add a quarter of the stock and keep the rice simmering stirring continually. Keep adding the stock a quarter of the time and keep the rice simmering, stirring continually make sure each additional stock is absorbed before adding the next, if it looks too thick, add either a little more stock or hot water, serve immediately with a sprinkle of grated cheese on top with a tossed salad.